English | 中文(简体) | 中文(繁體) | 한국어
  • Home>
  • Search
  • Central Area 17
Central Area 17

Former Site of Shokin Horse Tramway Line

Image1 Image2 Image3
Structural Sites
Former Site of Shokin Horse Tramway Line
Central Area 17

In 1904, Shokin Horse Tramway Line (Shokin Basha Tetsudo) began operation from present-day Tono Town in Hakusan City to Arimatsu in Kanazawa City via Nonoichi City. In 1916, the line was converted to electric power, and the company was renamed Shokin Electric Railroad (Shokin Densha Tetsudo). In Nonoichi City, the line runs south through Oshinomaruki and along the former Hokkoku Road from the middle toward Inari Town, Mikkaichi Town, and Tokumoto Town. Ridership in the second half of 1919 totaled 340,046 passengers (1,848/day) which was good; however, it merged with Kanazawa Electric Railroad (Kanazawa Denki Tetsudo). In 1944, the section between Nonoichi and Nomachi in Kanazawa City was discontinued. The majority of the former sections of the railroad became regular roads; however, we can see some sites of the routes and stations.