English | 中文(简体) | 中文(繁體) | 한국어
  • Main
  • Search
  • Shrine

Search - Shrine

( Shrine ) 72 found.
  Title
Koanken Temple
Koanken Temple was built in 1350 by Takayasu Togashi, and was dedicated to Sotetsu Meiho, the fourth chief priest of Daijoji Temple. In 1915, during cultivation of the land said to be the burial mount of the founder of Daijoji Temple, Gikai Tettsu, ...
Mushiokuri in Oshino
With a history in Kaga stretching back to the middle of the Edo Period (1603-1868), the Torch procession takes place in summer each year to drive off insects that damage the rice crop (Mushiokuri). The Oshino torch procession is held each year on J...
A Monument of Honor for Hibikimasu, Sekiwake (a high sumo rank)
Hibikimasu was a sumo wrestler born in Oshino Village in 1859 (birth name, Ichitaro Shimizu). He was 180 cm tall and weighed 135 kg. With his well-built body, he was a strong and skilled athlete who attained the rank of Sekiwake in 1892. He retired f...
Goto Family Residence
The Gotoke Monjo, a collection of approximately 1,800 historical documents passed down by the Goto Clan of Oshino Village, has been designated a cultural property by Ishikawa Prefecture. The Goto Clan was founded by Munetoshi Togashi, the third son o...
Oshikoshi
The name Oshikoshi is first seen in Shoho Gocho, a book of village yields recorded by the Kaga Domain in the mid-17th century. According to Goto Clan documents, katauri (a type of melon) and eggplant were the major products of the region. Hakusan Sh...
Noshiro
Earthenware uncovered in Noshiro that dates back 3000 years ago shows people lived in the area from ancient times. There were two mounds in Noshiro constructed with river stones. These were called Niso-no-tsuka. Although we cannot identify these moun...
Nagaike
The Kaganokuni Ishikawagun Sonshi (History of Villages in Ishikawa County, Kaga Province) describes the origin of Nagaike Village's name. It describes the village as being long from north to south, with more dwellings seen in the south, on land that ...
Tsukagoshi Festival
This kyozuka (Sutra mound) is also called Tsukagoshiyama mound. There is a small shrine that houses a stone statue of Fudaishi. During the Tsukagoshiyama mound festival held each year on February 15, the door of the small shrine opens. February 15 wa...
Mushiokuri in Okyozuka
Mushiokuri (torch procession to drive away crop-eating insects) in Okyozuka is held on the Saturday before July 21 each year. It was cancelled several times during WWII. The parade of mushiokuri starts from Sanatake Shrine. People walk around the tow...
Hokuroku Road (Hokkoku Road)
Hokkoku Road was the main road running through the Hokuriku Region. It was called Hokuroku Road before and during the Edo Period (1603-1868). Hokkoku Road ran along the present-day Hon-machi Street, facing the Kita Family Residence and Nunoichi Shri...
Hakusan Shrine
Hakusan Shrine was established in 987 or 988 and protected Kitayokonomiya (present-day Nukashin-machi in Kanazawa City and the northern area of Hon-machi 2-chome in Nonoichi City). The main hall was located in Kitayokonomiya, and the worship hall was...
Kitayokonomiya
Hakusan Shrine was established in 987 or 988 and protected Kitayokonomiya (present-day Nukashin-machi in Kanazawa City and the northern area of Hon-machi 2-chome in Nonoichi City). The main hall was located in Kitayokonomiya, and the worship hall was...
Sumiyoshi-no-miya
Sumiyoshi-no-miya (Nunoichi Shrine) was originally named Togashi-go Hachiman Shrine, which protected the area of present-day Hon-machi 2 and 3-chome. In 1914, Shojitsu Hachiman Shrine, which protected the area of present-day Hon-machi 4-chome, and So...
Monument to Togashi Clan
Located on the right side of Nunoichi Shrine gate, this monument was built in 1889 by Iyomon Mimo, a leading farmer in Nonoichi Village. Over 500 years of Togashi Clan history are inscribed on the stone, from founder Tadayori to Masachika, who commit...
Former Site of the Takanobu Kimura Residence
Takanobu Kimura was Shigenari Kimura's uncle. Shigenari was a vassal of Nobunaga Oda, the powerful samurai warlord of Japan in the late 16th century. Takanobu was also married to the daughter of Uemontaifu Kaburaki, the lord of Matto Castle. The resi...
Rain Prayer Stone
This stone was originally at Shojitsu Hachiman Shrine. During the Edo Period (1603-1868), the area suffered a water shortage due to dry weather; but when people carried this stone and walked around the town, it started raining. It was named the rain ...
Wakizashi
There are three swords housed at Nunoichi Shrine. One is this short sword that has the name Nobunaga engraved on it. It is 47.8 cm long, 2.8 cm wide, and has a 0.6 cm curve. In the late 15th century, the sword maker Nobunaga, who lived in Nonoichi, i...
Former Site of a Horse Market
Nonoichi was the first post town on Hokkoku Road from Kanazawa Castle to Kyoto. Post horses used to transport commodities were stationed in Nonoichi. There is a document stating that Nonoichi post town had 87 horses in 1666. In June 1854, a horse mar...
Former Nonoichi Area
The name Nonoichi first appeared in the Sannomiya Koki, which was written in 1312 and housed at Shirayama Hime Shrine. Governor (shugo) Togashi used this area as a base to control Kaga Province. The reason is because Nonoichi was located at an import...
Shishimai (Lion Dance) in Hon-machi Area
The lion dance in the Hon-machi area is performed as part of a parade throughout the town at the autumn festival held by Nunoichi Shrine in mid-October each year. The lion dance in the Kaga region expresses a conflict between a man called Bofuri (a m...
Portable Shrine Decorated with Vegetables
The portable shrine decorated with vegetables is carried in a parade throughout the Hon-machi area during the autumn festival of Nunoichi Shrine held in the mid-October. As the name implies, this portable shrine is a small shrine decorated with vege...
Inari
The area's name, Inari, is found in the 1491 diary of Court Noble Tamehiro Reizei as Inari Shrine. It has also been noted that abandoned land in this area was cultivated and developed into Inari Village along with farmland reform by the Kaga Domian t...
Mikkaichi
The name, Mikkaichi (Market on dates that include 3), came from markets held on the 3rd, 13th, and 23rd of each month during the Middle Ages. The market declined in the late 16th century, but it is thought that the farmers living in this area later f...
Futsukaichi
The name, Futsukaichi (Market on dates with the number 2 in them), came from a market held on the 2nd, 12th, and 22nd of each month around the 14th century. It was located near Yokoe-no-sho, a manor that belonged to Tenryuji Temple in Kyoto, and flou...
Kosho Hachiman Shrine
Kosho Hachiman Shrine was named in 1871 with a sacred object and main shrine located at Kanaya Palace (currently Oyama Shrine). These were granted to Tokumoto Town by feudal lord Nariyasu Maeda. It is surprising that the feudal lord would have grante...
Cultural Properties at Kosho Hachiman Shrine
Kosho Hachiman Shrine houses documents that explain the process of giving Hachiman Shrine at Kanaya Palace to Tokumoto Village in 1871, historical documents related to Hachiman Shrine, and documents and drawings by Nariyasu Maeda. Among those documen...
Tokumoto Mura Kimoiri Shihei Gansho (Request by Shihei, Tokumoto Village Organizer)
In 1871, because Hakusan Shrine in Tokumoto Village lacked a sacred object, Tokumoto resident Shihei asked Nariyasu Maeda, the 12th lord of Kaga Domain, for something he had written or touched as a sacred object for their shrine. This is the letter t...
Kanaya Goten Goyokata Akai Kinai Yamazaki Kafukuo Oboe
Jikichi Kenbe of Tokumoto Village received these documents at Kanaya Palace in August of 1871. The memorandum describes the decision to give the sacred object from Hachiman Shrine at Kanaya Palace to Tokumoto Village and other matters.
Moto-tomura-yaku Seo Magozo Tedai Kenbe Jikichi Ukesho
Jikichi Kenbe of Tokumoto Village received these documents at Kanaya Palace in August of 1871. The memorandum describes the decision to give the sacred object from Hachiman Shrine at Kanaya Palace to Tokumoto Village and other matters.
Kenbe Jikichi Tsuchijo
Jikichi Kenbe of Tokumoto Village received these documents at Kanaya Palace in August of 1871. The memorandum describes the decision to give the sacred object from Hachiman Shrine at Kanaya Palace to Tokumoto Village and other matters.
Uji Jinja Jinja Go Negai
A Request to Rename the Shrine was submitted in October 1874. The Letter from Hajime Tada was written to residents of the village informing them that the feudal lord Nariyasu Maeda was very pleased that they had donated 2 yen to him in return for his...
Maedake Kafudai Tada Hajime Shojo
A Request to Rename the Shrine was submitted in October 1874. The Letter from Hajime Tada was written to residents of the village informing them that the feudal lord Nariyasu Maeda was very pleased that they had donated 2 yen to him in return for his...
Kosyozan Hachimangu
Hachiman Shrine at Kanaya Palace enshrined the spirit of the deity of Ana-hachiman Shrine (Shinjuku, Tokyo), which was quite well known during the Edo Period (1603-1868). It is possible that Toshitsune Maeda, the 3rd feudal lord of Kaga Domain, wante...
Hachiman Okami no Shingogaku
The framed name of the Hachiman God was displayed at Hachiman Shrine at Kanaya Palace. On the back of the frame, there is the engraved description of being written by Nariyasu Maeda in 1870. On the box in which this frame was stored, it is written th...
Hachiman Okami no Shingojiku
The framed name of the Hachiman God was displayed at Hachiman Shrine at Kanaya Palace. On the back of the frame, there is the engraved description of being written by Nariyasu Maeda in 1870. On the box in which this frame was stored, it is written th...
Kame no Ji
Kame no Ji was drawn by Nariyasu Maeda when he was 5 years old, and Saru no E was drawn by him when he was 7 years old. Takara no Tama no Zu was drawn by him in 1877. The back of the top of the box shows that this was housed at Kosho Hachiman Shrine....
Takara no Tama no Zu
Kame no Ji was drawn by Nariyasu Maeda when he was 5 years old, and Saru no E was drawn by him when he was 7 years old. Takara no Tama no Zu was drawn by him in 1877. The back of the top of the box shows that this was housed at Kosho Hachiman Shrine....
Saru no E
Kame no Ji was drawn by Nariyasu Maeda when he was 5 years old, and Saru no E was drawn by him when he was 7 years old. Takara no Tama no Zu was drawn by him in 1877. The back of the top of the box shows that this was housed at Kosho Hachiman Shrine....
Ogimen
Kame no Ji was drawn by Nariyasu Maeda when he was 5 years old, and Saru no E was drawn by him when he was 7 years old. Takara no Tama no Zu was drawn by him in 1877. The back of the top of the box shows that this was housed at Kosho Hachiman Shrine....
Yaso Yuka Ono-ono Onozukara Kobashi
Kame no Ji was drawn by Nariyasu Maeda when he was 5 years old, and Saru no E was drawn by him when he was 7 years old. Takara no Tama no Zu was drawn by him in 1877. The back of the top of the box shows that this was housed at Kosho Hachiman Shrine....
Tori-I
The Tomuro stone gate was moved to Tokumoto Village at the same time Hachiman Shrine at Kanaya Palace was moved. It is partially broken. "September 1863" is engraved on one of the gate's pillars. The other pillar shows that Tomoko, wife of ...
Sanja no Dai Gaku
The Tomuro stone gate was moved to Tokumoto Village at the same time Hachiman Shrine at Kanaya Palace was moved. It is partially broken. "September 1863" is engraved on one of the gate's pillars. The other pillar shows that Tomoko, wife of ...
A Pair of Wooden Shrine Guardian Dogs
This is a pair of wooden shrine guardian dogs placed at the worship hall of Kosho Hachiman Shrine. The sculptor is unknown. They are thought to have been made at the end of the 16th century.
Rengeji
The area name, Rengeji, came from the Rengeji Temple that once stood in the area. Rengeji Temple was a Tendai Sect temple in the Middle Ages, and it enshrined Kumano Gongen (God of Kumano). Rengeji Village first appeared in a 1646 Shoho Gocho (Shoho ...
Horiuchi
The area name, Horiuchi, appeared in the Tenbun Nikki (Tenbun Diary) written by Shonyo, the 10th chief abbot of the Honganji Temple, in the 16th century. Landholders' residences were often surrounded by moats at that time. Horiuchi means "within...
Shimobayashi
Shimobayashi was related to the Hayashi Clan that ruled the area. The name Shimobayashi is found in a historical document written in the 14th century. Shimobayashi became a part of Nonoichi Town in 1955. Yakushi Hiyoshi Shrine, thought to have been...
Kuraigawa
The village name, Kuraigawa, first appeared in the Shoho Gocho (Shoho Tax Register) created by Kaga Domain in 1646. The Kuraigawa Village Land Tax Notification issued in 1670 lists the details of taxation. It lists 135 koku (kusadaka: total rice prod...
Sanno
The area name, Sanno, came from having Sanno Shrine in the area. A description of Sanno Shrine appeared in the 1646 Shoho Gocho (Shoho Tax Register). Sanno was merged into Nonoichi Town in 1955. Kusaka Hiyoshi Shrine protects Sanno.
Kusaka Hiyoshi Shrine
The shrine is thought to have been built in the late 15th century. It was called Hiyoshi Shrine in the Edo Period (1603-1868), and renamed as Kusaka Hiyoshi Shrine in 1875. It has been known as the home of the God of Childbirth, and it is said that m...
Small Wooden Shrine
The small wooden shrine has a 1.25m-wide roof, 0.76m-wide main body, and stands 0.8m high with a lacquered pedestal. This precious small shrine was built at the end of the Edo Period (1603-1868). It was repaired along with the new establishment of Ku...
Stone Statue of Sanno Gongen God
The small wooden shrine has a 1.25m-wide roof, 0.76m-wide main body, and stands 0.8m high with a lacquered pedestal. This precious small shrine was built at the end of the Edo Period (1603-1868). It was repaired along with the new establishment of Ku...
Toheida
The area name, Toheida, first appeared in Tenbun Nikki, or diary of Shonyo, the 10th chief priest of Shinshu Sect Honganji Temple. The diary explains that Jonen Toheida, an influential leader during the Ikko Ikki (uprising of Ikko Sect followers), li...
Kiyokane
The name of Kiyokane Village appeared in a letter to a vassal written by the feudal lord Toshiie Maeda in 1599. This area was known for its watermelon production in the Showa Period (1926-1989). The legend of the God of Stone has been passed down in...
Fujihira
Fujihira Village was built in the Early Modern Period. There are records showing 5 farmers in 1670, 9 households and 48 residents in 1876. Fujihira became a part of Nonoichi Town in 1955. Kinkyo Hachiman Shrine in this area is thought to have been b...
Mushiokuri in Tomioku Area
The torch procession to drive away crop-eating insects in Tomioku Area is held on a Saturday immediately before July 20 each year. In the evening, 14 town associations in the area depart from the shrine in each town. A person carrying a large paper l...
Suematsu
The village name, Suematsu, appeared in the 1646 Shoho Gocho (Shoho Tax Register). There are records in another historical document showing 24 farmers in 1670, and 194 farmers in 1876. Suematsu became a part of Tomioku Village in 1889. At the beginn...
Suematsu Burial Mound
Many sites were discovered in Suematsu. The biggest discovery was the former site of Suematsu Temple, a large temple in ancient times. This area is located at a high elevation (35-40m above sea level) in the alluvial fan of the Tedori River. Due to t...
Former Site of Hofukuji Temple
Many sites were discovered in Suematsu. The biggest discovery was the former site of Suematsu Temple, a large temple in ancient times. This area is located at a high elevation (35-40m above sea level) in the alluvial fan of the Tedori River. Due to t...
Former Site of Odachi Yakata
Many sites were discovered in Suematsu. The biggest discovery was the former site of Suematsu Temple, a large temple in ancient times. This area is located at a high elevation (35-40m above sea level) in the alluvial fan of the Tedori River. Due to t...
Former Site of Kogendo Yakata
Many sites were discovered in Suematsu. The biggest discovery was the former site of Suematsu Temple, a large temple in ancient times. This area is located at a high elevation (35-40m above sea level) in the alluvial fan of the Tedori River. Due to t...
Former Site of Suematsu Shinano Yakata
Many sites were discovered in Suematsu. The biggest discovery was the former site of Suematsu Temple, a large temple in ancient times. This area is located at a high elevation (35-40m above sea level) in the alluvial fan of the Tedori River. Due to t...
Todoroki
Todoroki was located in the area now known as Suematsu 2-chome. A story told in the area is that foxes and raccoons used to cheat people at nighttime. Long ago, Hachiman Shrine was located in the southeast, and Ebisu Shrine was located in the west. ...
Kambayashi
In the Middle Ages, it is thought that Kambayashi was included in the area called Hayashi Go. Hayashi Go is the area where the powerful lord of the Hayashi Clan established his base in the late 12th century. In 1352, Genyu Okuwa, a Jito (medieval la...
Hayashigo Hachiman Shrine
Hayashigo Hachiman Shrine is thought to have been established in 1013. People in the area put great faith in it as the main shrine of Hayashi Go; and the head of the Hayashi clan and Genyu Okuwa (jito) worshipped the guardian god enshrined there. It ...
A Large Chinquapin Tree in Kambayashi
This large chinquapin tree has been worshipped at Hayashigo Hachiman Shrine since ancient times. According to a 1988 survey, this tree is the second largest in Japan. There is also a legend associated with the tree. "Long ago, there was an old ...
Former Site of the Hayashi Clan Residence in Kambayashi
The former site of a Hayashi Clan residence is thought to have been located in Kambayashi. A small shrine currently marks the spot. It is said that there were some area names related to horses and the residence in the past. Area names located to the ...
Shinjo
In 1345, Takauji Ashikaga, founder of the Ashikaga Shogunate, assigned Ujiharu Togashi as Jito, (medieval land steward) to the area. This area was called Togashi Shinjo at that time. The current area name, Shinjo, is thought to have come from this ol...
Shinjo
In 1345, Takauji Ashikaga, founder of Ashikaga Shogunate, assigned Ujiharu Togashi as Jito, (medieval land steward) to the area. The current area name, Shinjo, is thought to have come from this old name. It was merged into Nonoichi Town in 1955. Thi...
Awada
The present-day Awada area was separated into Awada Village and Shinbo Village. It is said that flooding in Awada Village forced residents to move to Shinbo Village. Commerce in Awada Village flourished in the late 19th century because of its good l...
Shishimai (Lion Dance) in Awada
The lion dance in Awada was restored for the first time in 27 years by volunteers along with the remodeling of Toyoda Hiyoshi Shrine in 1977. There are many performances of swinging swords in the lion dance, including kusarigama (sickle and chain), a...
Stone Lanterns at Toyoda Hiyoshi Shrine
A pair of stone lanterns sits in front of Toyoda Hiyoshi Shrine. Letters inscribed on the lanterns show that they were donated by a samurai of the Kaga Domain in 1695. The names of nine other people were also inscribed on the lanterns, which mean tha...
Yahagi
The area name, Yahagi, comes from the fact the many residents were engaged in arrow making. Yahagi in Japanese means to make arrows. In 1486, when the priest Doko climbed down Mt. Hakusan and stayed overnight in Yahagi, he composed a tanka, a Japanes...